Monday, November 10, 2008

More Spring 09 books

More Spring 2009 titles that intrigue me:

Homegrown Yankees: Tennessee's Union Cavalry in the Civil War by James Alex Baggett (LSU Press, June 2009). My G-G-G Grandfather, William C. Pickens, was Colonel of the 3rd Tennessee Cavalry, U.S.A. so this one is of particular interest to me.

Sister States, Enemy States: The Civil War in Kentucky and Tennessee, gen. eds. Kent Dollar, Larry Whiteaker, and W. Calvin Dickinson (U. of Kentucky Press, May 2009).

Commanding Lincoln's Navy: Union Naval Leadership During the Civil War by Stephen Taafe (Naval Inst. Press, May 2009). I haven't read Taafe's earlier book about the Army of the Potomac corps commanders, but I recall liking many of the author's ideas as expressed in his Civil War Talk Radio interview [see sidebar link for access to show archives].

The War in Words: Reading the Dakota Conflict through the Captivity Literature by Kathryn Zabelle Derounian-Stodola (U. of Nebraska Press, May 2009).

The Second United States Sharpshooters in the Civil War: A History and Roster by Gerald L. Earley (McFarland, Spring 09).

2 comments:

  1. Drew -

    I always enjoy the "heads-up" on your blog of titles that are still months off but of great interest. You can also add to your radar Eric Wittenberg's biography of Ulric Dahlgren, *Like a Meteor Blazing Brightly*, due from Edinborough Press in Spring 2009.

    Keep up the great work.

    Jim Schmidt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my lists are simply those upcoming books that I plan on taking a look at (but of course, reality intervenes and I can never get to them all). Certainly there are many, many more quality books that I leave out. There's only so much reading time available.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger ID not required, but if you choose not to create one please sign your post with your name (no promotional information, please). Otherwise, your comment and/or link may be deleted.