Monday, February 11, 2008

2008 Lincoln Prize

No word as of this writing on the official website, but a NYT brief mentions that the 2008 Lincoln Prize for American History winner(s) are James Oakes for The Radical and the Republican: Frederick Douglass, Abraham Lincoln, and the Triumph of Antislavery Politics and Elizabeth Brown Pryor for Reading the Man: A Portrait of Robert E. Lee Through His Private Letters. The article notes that each author will receive $20,000 and a bronze bust. [I wonder where the extra $10,000 went... (Douglas Wilson got $50,000 for winning the 2007 award)].

I haven't read either one, though Pryor's book is amoulderin' on the shelf. Every once in awhile, I glance over at it and its girth, thinking to myself I could read three books I would probably enjoy much more in the time it would take me to get through that one.

3 comments:

  1. The article says the is a thrid prize of $10,000

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hasn't been noted in any item I've come across. The award page itself states: "As many as two prizes may be awarded each year."

    I suppose the extra 10 grand might be going to the e-prize:

    http://www.gettysburg.edu/civilwar/prizes_andscholarships/elincoln_prize/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I did find an article, thanks to CWi, stating that the honorable mention, Chandra Manning's "What This Cruel War Was Over: Soldiers, Slavery, and the Civil War" is awarded $10,000. Not bad.

    ReplyDelete

***PLEASE READ BEFORE COMMENTING***: You must SIGN YOUR NAME when submitting your comment. In order to maintain civil discourse and ease moderating duties, anonymous comments will be deleted. Comments containing outside promotions and/or product links will also be removed. Thank you for your cooperation.